In recognition of National School Bus Safety Week and the theme “Bully Free Zone!,” Dallas County Schools wants to share some tips from the U.S. Department of Education Safe and Supportive Schools Center to all bus drivers and professionals on how to prevent bullying on school buses.
Tips To Prevent Bullying
- Establish a positive atmosphere on the bus. Be clear, fair, and consistent about rules.
- Treat students the way you want to be treated and the way you want them to treat each other.
- Learn and use their names. Introduce yourself.
- Get to know all of the students on your bus – including the students who bully.
- Use positive, non-verbal interactions – a smile, a nod, a thumbs up, a high five, a pat on the back.
- Notice something positive the students do and say something about it to them or someone else where they can hear it.
- If you regularly drive for a group like a sports team or club, get to know what they do. Go watch them in action and say something to them about it.
- Submit positive bus referrals.
For more information, visit http://www.ed.gov.