Dallas County Spelling Bee
As the host for the Dallas County Spelling Bee, Dallas County Schools has been sending Spelling Bee winners to the Dallas Morning News Regional Spelling Bee since 1980. The winner of the Regional Spelling Bee is sent to the Scripps Howard National Bee Championship in Washington, D. C. with an all expense paid trip for
At the Dallas County level, two spelling bees are held, one spelling bee for Public/TX Charter Schools and one for Private Schools. Dallas County is the only county in the region permitted to send two representatives to the Regional Bee - the winner from the Public/TX Charter Schools Bee and the winner from the Private Schools Bee.
Dallas County Schools is proud to be involved in the Dallas County Spelling Bee. It is one more area where the agency is Strengthening Education Through Service.
Who May Enter
The Dallas County Spelling Bee Competitions are open to all 4th - 8th grade students in Dallas County. Advancing contestants and their schools must be pre-registered according to the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee guidelines. The contestants must compete in their district spelldown, home school association, or private school competitions to be eligible to compete in the Dallas County Spelling Bee. For more information, please contact the Dallas County Spelling Bee Coordinator, Carol Canterbury, at email@example.com.
Get On the Inside Track!
Words used in the Dallas County Spelling Bee may be selected from the following:
- Complete set of study words for grades 1 - 8
- 2014 Spell It! Available at www.myspellit.com
- Merriam-Webster's A Dictionary of Prefixes, Suffixes, and Combining Forms
- Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged, Copyright 2002, Merriam Webster Inc., and its Addenda Section
Campus Resources for Students
1. Great American SpellCheck grade-specific word lists Grades 1 – 8
2. Great American SpellCheck grade-specific study
3. Current edition of SPELLIT
4. WORD CENTRAL – interactive online tool
5. Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, 2002, and its addenda section
Resources for Spelling Bee Coordinators
1. Classroom Spelldown
CLASSROOM PRONOUNCER GUIDE (for Coordinator only); SPELLIT and any other student word lists from Scripps
2. Campus Spelldown
SCHOOL PRONOUNCER GUIDE
3. District Spelldown
SPECIAL WORD LIST from Scripps
*County Spelling Bee utilizes the “District” Pronouncer Guide
- THE CLASSROOM PRONOUNCER GUIDE AND THE SCHOOL PRONOUNCER GUIDE ARE NOT TO BE MADE AVAILABLE TO ANY STUDENTS, THIER PARENTS, EDUCATORS, RELATIVES OR AQUAINTANCES PER SCRIPPS 2013 DICTIONARY.COM
- THE ABOVE GUIDES ARE TO BE SHREDDED AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE SPELLING BEES AT EACH LEVEL
If your private school is independent of other schools, you will want to use SCHOOL PRONOUNCER GUIDE to determine the winner and runner-up for the COUNTY BEE.
HOT TOPICS AND DEADLINES
After registering, all questions are to be directed to Dallas County Schools, not Scripps or the Dallas Morning News. For questions call (214) 944-4523.
IMPORTANT DATES & DEADLINES
October 15, 2013
Deadline for all schools in Dallas County to enroll with Scripps
January 22, 2014
Deadline for reporting Winners and Runner-ups to Carol Canterbury and Dallas County Schools
February 18, 2014
PRIVATE schools County
February 19, 2014
PUBLIC/TX CHARTER Schools County Spelling Bee at UTD
Trophy Presentations at DCS Board of Trustees Meeting
March 23, 2014
Dallas Morning News REGIONAL Spelling Bee
May 25 - May 31, 2014
National Spelling Bee Week in Washington D.C.
Dallas County Spelling Bee Champions
The Dallas County Schools Private Schools' and Public/TX Charter Schools' Spelling Bee Champions and Runner-ups each receive an engraved Spelling Bee trophy. All participants in the two Dallas County Spelling Bees receive a Certificate of Participation. The champions then advance to the Dallas Morning News Regional Spelling Bee Competition.
Dallas County Schools would like to thank the Unversity of Texas at Dallas and its College Ambassadors for once again hosting the Public/TX Charter Schools and Private Schools Spelling Bees!