SRO Police Officer
REPORTS TO: Chief of Police or Lieutenant
JOB POSTING NO.: 160623-0084-01A
SALARY RANGE: $34,659.36 - $42,271.04 (Commensurate w/ Education & Experience)
CLOSING DATE: Open until Filled
To develop positive relationships between students, faculty and police while in the school setting. Patrols district property to protect students, personnel and visitors from physical harm and prevent property loss to theft or vandalism. Enforces all laws, including municipal ordinances, county ordinances and state laws. Conducts investigations and performs other specialized duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: The School Resource Officers work a 190 day annual schedule. Officers begin the school year in mid-August and work until the last day of the District’s school year. Officers are off from the time school ends until mid-August. Officers receive their required training during August until classes begin.
Officers are off on all major holidays, other times designated by the District and approximately two weeks during the fall holiday and New Year’s break.
- Peace Officer Certification issued by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- Valid Texas drivers’ license
- At least 30 hours from an accredited College
- At least two years as a licensed Texas Peace Officer
- Required to pass a DCS Police Department entrance exam
Experience/Special Knowledge & Skills:
- General knowledge of criminal investigation, police report writing and criminal laws
- Bondable as required by Texas Education Code 37.081(h)
- Educational law enforcement experience preferred
- Training and ability to subdue offenders, including use of firearms and handcuffs
- Ability to pass the department’s written examination, State required Medical Condition
- Declaration (L2), and Psychological and Emotional Health Declaration (L3).
- Other tests may be required as needed
- Ability to pass required training for School Resource Officers
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills
- Able to clearly communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well and develop rapport with youth, children, and adults
- Good attendance record
Download Full Job Description