DCS Professional Development Services offers a comprehensive training program designed to meet the needs of DCS employees. It provides a Leading to Learn Series of approximately 15 seminars per year covering a wide variety of professional topics. Each seminar is designed to give employees the practical knowledge that will help them develop new skills or improve their current skills. DCS Professional Development Services also coordinates and facilitates additional training seminars throughout the year, depending on the needs of individual departments.
Employees who may want to advance their careers or who are interested in learning more about certain job positions within the organization may review the Professional Development Manual (PD Manual) online or visit the Professional Development Office to view a hard copy of the Manual. The PD Manual includes a Professional Development Profile for each position, detailing the skills necessary for each position within Dallas County Schools. Each profile includes a list of Suggested Courses that will help employees acquire certain professional skills. You may access these profiles by clicking on the appropriate link below. The Professional Development Department will also provide counseling to those who want more information or may have questions about the professional development process.
Employees have access to Professional Development training in many different formats:
- 24-7 Online Access – Employees may view video information and tutorials on the use of technology, learning Spanish, and maintaining an optimal level of wellness. The link to the 24-7 Website is: http://egwear.wix.com/24-7
- Online Streaming of Courses – A number of Professional Development courses will be offered through our website and may be streamed on a computer.
- Live Professional Development Workshops – Professional Development courses are offered throughout the year and the list of courses may be found on our website. Employees will be able to view the Professional Development plan and access the Profession Development course calendar by accessing our DCS website at www.dcschools.com
Courses at Community College Campuses – Employees will find many courses that have been researched as possible Professional Development courses that are offered on evenings and weekends in our Suggested Course List. (Employees should review the Educational Reimbursement Plan for any limitations on cost.)
Technology and Instruction Events:
- LITE UP Expo: Library Information Technology Expo - Unlimited Possibilities - This anual event in January includes a motivational keynote speaker, vendors, and engaging sessions based on the strands of Literary Diversity, Curriculum Integration, Innovative Technologies and Librery Media/Information Technology. It is open to all librarians and technology leaders throughout the State of Texas.
- Technology Symposium: Bridging the Gap: Technology and Instruction - This event allows attendees from school districts around the state to network and exhibit at a one day symposium. Sessions offered include strands entitled Digital Citizenship, Google Apps, 1:1 Computing, Mobile Learning and 21st Century Learning. Vendors are available to offer and present on many new products and services for school districts and students. 21st Century learning comes ALIVE at this conference.
Training Resource for School Districts and Businesses: We provide high quality, customized training solutions for school districts, charter and private schools, and private businesses. DCS is also authorized by the Texas Education Agency to provide school board member training under the State Board of Education Framework for School Board Development.